Thursday 10 January 2008

I think you should resign now Peter , before I sack you !!

Hain reveals £103k not declared
Peter Hain
Mr Hain has apologised for the undeclared donation
Work and Pensions Secretary Peter Hain failed to declare £103,000 in donations to his Labour deputy leadership bid, his spokesman has confirmed.

Mr Hain, who is also Welsh Secretary, came fifth out of six in the race to succeed John Prescott last summer.

He expressed "regret" for not declaring the donations in time and not giving "higher personal priority" to the administration of his campaign.

But he said everyone who had given him money was legally entitled to donate.

Earlier he passed full details of the £103,156.75 in donations to the Electoral Commission, which is due to report back next week.

I reasonably believed that the arrangements in place for my deputy leader campaign would be sufficient to ensure compliance with reporting requirements
Peter Hain

In a statement, he said: "I understand that people will ask how I could have allowed this number of donations to go undeclared at the time.

"The fact is that during this period, I gave my campaign for office within the Labour Party second priority to my government responsibilities.

"I reasonably believed that the arrangements in place for my deputy leader campaign would be sufficient to ensure compliance with reporting requirements, but as it transpired, due to administrative failings this was not the case after early May."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7180961.stm


No comments: